Food has always been important in my life. My dad always loved to cook and host people for dinner, which is most likely where I get my love of food from! Both my father and sister happen to be AMAZING at cooking. I have many recipes from my father, which I will share in several later posts, but my sister recently sent me a photo of this recipe that she cooked and I asked for the recipe so I could try it out!
Going forward, I am going to be rating my recipes 1-5. 1 being Don’t make it! to 5 You’ve got to try this! and pros and cons of each recipe. For this particular recipe, I changed quite a few things. I took out the mushrooms, I’m not a fan, and added garlic powder to the chicken seasoning. I also forgot paprika, so that definitely took away from the flavor. Maybe next time I should just stick to the original recipe, but thats no fun!
Cheesy Hasselback Chicken
1 tablespoon oil
1½ cups white mushrooms, thinly sliced
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
4 cups baby spinach
2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
½ teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, nonstick skillet.
3. Toss in the mushrooms and season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Sauté until the mushrooms have started to darken in color.
4. Place the spinach on top of the mushrooms and toss until the greens have wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Set the spinach mixture aside.
5. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
6. Using a sharp knife, make vertical cuts, about half an inch apart, making sure not to cut all the way through the chicken.
7. Transfer the chicken to a greased roasting pan.
8. Stuff the spinach mixture into the cuts of the chicken breasts. Season with paprika and top with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400°F/200°C, until the cheese has melted and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°F/72°C.
10. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving.
SUPER easy and quick
Not a lot of ingredients needed
Not the most flavorful (possibly because I didn’t use paprika!)
Would I make it again?
I would rate this recipe a 3 out of 5 based on its ease and simplicity, and the fact that it is healthy!